The Governors have decided that the school will offer a programme of Sex Education which will be appropriate to the child’s age and experience. A policy document is available for your inspection at the school, a summary is included below:
- to develop children’s communication skills
- to develop and maintain children’s self-esteem
- to prepare children for puberty
- to provide children with access to correct information about their bodies and those of the opposite sex
- to develop children’s correct vocabulary for communication about their bodies
- to build positive attitudes
- to provide children with knowledge about the process of human reproduction
- to enable children to acquire skills and attitudes which prepare pupils to manage relationships in a morally responsible and healthy manner
- to provide the opportunity for children to understand and cope with personal safety, helping them to know how to make simple choices and exercise some basic techniques for resisting peer group pressure.
We believe that a carefully formulated programme for sex education is crucial if we are to prepare children for their lives now and in the future as adults. The school will aim to promote an atmosphere that allows questioning, where any questions raised will be answered with sensitivity and related to family life, loving relationships and respect for others.